EcoSponge is the World's first fair trade bike product. This helps people in the Philipines, and it works a treat.
- Ecosponge makes a great foam from bike cleaner when squeezed
- It has a soft cotton outer for superior frame cleaning made from recycled rice sacks
- Durable and washing machine safe
- Internal fibres are from the luffa genus plant.
The original Ecosponge was just a plant based sponge. It worked well, but had room for improvement. We then made a batch of Ecosponge 2, with coconut husk inside a fabric outer, but then the coconut husk supplier in the Philipines went broke. A short redesign produced Ecosponge 3 - the ultimate Ecosponge.
It's also part of the Eco Rider Deluxe set.
The World's greenest bicycle product
Plant based: The EcoSponge uses a plant based inner. This plant is indigenous to the Philipines and has to grow amongst other indignous plants. Growing these is therefore good for the ecosystem.
Recycled: The outside is made of recycled cotton. Litterally, every Ecospone is completely unique! They are largely made from reclaimed cottong rice sacks. This is super soft for frame cleaning, and tought enough to wipe down your frame too. Everyone Ecosponge is unique and upcycled!
Compostable: The Ecosponge is biodegradable after many years of use and can go on your compost heap if it ever wears out. It is petrochemical free, so you're not putting fragments of petrochemicals into the environment when using it as you would with a standard plastic sponge.
Why not use a natural sea sponge? Too many people want sponges from the bottom of the sea, and people taking too many is damaging the ecosystem in various places.
So growing sponges using fair trade principles is the way forward, rather than using sea sponges.
How to use the Ecosponge
1. Soak in a bucket of water for 1 minute. Watch it soften and expand slightly
2. Squeeze out, then apply Green Clean bike cleaner to your EcoSponge
3. Clean off dirt from your frame with your Ecosponge, rinsing it out regularly
After use, dry out your Ecosponge indoors or in the sun.
You can actually wash it with your dark clothing in a washing machine